The Opera Technical Specialist is required to have a good knowledge of all Opera products to maintain a high standard of installations and support to the satisfaction of our clients, and senior management.
Primary Responsibilities for the Role
- Maintain a good working relationship with the Project’s department. Keep up to date with all upcoming installations and to identify risks and opportunities.
- Install the assigned products to the requirements and satisfaction of the client and Micros South Africa Management.
- Ensure that Opera standards and documentation are adhered to (network paths, passwords, etc…). These standards are amended from time to time and are published verbally, via email, fax, memorandums or intranet.
- The Opera Technical Specialist will ensure that, to the best of his/her ability, projects will be completed within schedule.
- The Opera technical Specialist will not leave site without completing all sign off documentation and time sheets.
- The Opera technical Specialist will not leave site if any outstanding issues are not resolved without explicit permission from Senior Management.
- Any major changes onsite to be communicated to the client, account manager and the projects department verbally and in writing.
- Train client, management & staff in accordance with published standards and policies.
- Produce training materials as required from time to time.
- To replace/repair/do changes to the best interest of the client and Micros.
- Keep updated on new technologies available, both on Oracle Hospitality software/hardware products, third-party software/hardware products, as well as general IT technologies, related to our industry.
- Test new releases of Oracle Hospitality Suite products.
- Pass any other certification examinations as required by Management.
- Maintain an adequate level of knowledge in operating systems and third party software as released from time to time.
- The Opera Technical Specialist is expected to be able to install the assigned products according to MICROS standards and to the complete satisfaction of our clients and Management.
- The Opera Technical Specialist is required to pass on any new acquired skill/knowledge to other Software Technicians either verbally, or by email, fax or memorandum.
- The Opera Technical Specialist shall present training courses to other Opera Hardware and Software Technicians as required.
- Ensure that he is in possession of all the relevant versions of Opera and related software.
- Ensure that all copyright laws are adhered to both at customer sites and on internal systems.
- Ensure that all reasonable precautions are taken to retain/protect all client data/software.
- Program all Opera version databases according to guidelines set out by Micros management.
- The Opera Technical Specialist is required to support the products assigned to him/her.
- All support calls are to be logged on the in-house call logging system.
- The Opera Technical Specialist is to be aware of both the internal and external escalation procedures as communicated from time to time.
- All logged calls are to be updated timeously.
- Clients are to be provided with the call log ID.
- The Opera Technical Specialist is to maintain a test environment on the internal office network for all Opera products.
- Be responsible for interaction with customers via email, telephone, fax etc.
- Research and test problems to confirm, isolate and identify what caused the problem and solutions. When unable to resolve problems, escalate to the correct channels timeously.
- Maintain all documentation required by Micros.
- Assist with implementing, testing and writing any documentation that may be required.
- Test and troubleshoot new versions prior to release.
- Must be available on 24 Hour standby from time to time.
- Adhere to customer SLA’s.
- Maintain communications with the office on a daily basis, via telephone, email or fax.
- At least once per week peruse the installation schedule as published on the share point and to keep updated on any recent developments or changes. The schedule posted on the share point is available to employees on request, and to employees out of the office on a weekly basis.
minimum Qualification and Experience Requirements
- Grade 12/Matric
- Opera experience essential
- IT related knowledge (advantageous)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience within Hotel environment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Products
Desired Skills and Qualities
- Demonstrate aptitude or competence for assigned responsibilities
- Demonstrate ability to take initiative and carry our assigned tasks to completion
- Manage time, resources well and demonstrate good planning and organisational skills
- Committed, motivated and able to achieve tasks in line with deadlines
- Able to prioritise importance tasks and adhere to deadlines
- Excellent troubleshooting/diagnostic skills
- Be proactive and customer focus
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Meticulous, with high attention to detail
- Good inter-personal skills